Protein Cakes | Foods of April: "Protein Cakes
Thanks to reader Julia for the recipe!
Makes 1 @ 90 calories, 18 grams of protein, and 2 net carbs
15 grams of protein powder (half a scoop) (whey works best, but I use unflavored soy many times to save money-I buy it in bulk!)
1 tbsp 100% cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 packets stevia (or whatever sweetneer you prefer)
1 tbsp pumpkin or applesauce (your choice!)
3 tbsp liquid egg whites (or 1 egg white)
1. In a microwavable cup, place the protein powder, cocoa powder, baking powder, and stevia. Mix well.
2. Stir in the egg whites and pumpkin so that you end up with a thick batter.
3. Microwave for 1 minute. The result will look something like this:
4. Use a knife to gently loosen it from the mug. Place the mug upside down on a plate and let the cake come out.
5. Cut in half and fill with desired toppings- peanut butter, yogurt, cream cheese, laughing cow, etc!
6. Once they are cool, you can wrap them in saran wrap and take them on the go!"